What does it mean to be made in the image of God? We began to see an answer to this in last week’s episode, and will finish answering this question in this study of Genesis 1:26.
In the previous study of Genesis 1:26, we began to look at what it means to be made in the image of God. We saw that it cannot refer to anything related to the Trinity, or to the popular idea that humans have intellect, emotions, and will. We do have these things, but this is not what it means to be made in the image of God.
I stated that there were four contextual keys about what it means to be made in the image of God, and I shared the first one with you. The first contextual key was the text of Genesis 1 itself. There are seven activities of God in Genesis 1, and in various ways, God instructs humans to engage in all seven of these activities. When we do the works of God, we are living as the image of God on earth.
That was the first contextual key. The next three keys all pretty much reveal the exact same thing, but from different perspectives. So the final three contextual keys which what us understand what it means to be made in the image of God help the support the idea that we have already seen, that you and I are the image of God on earth, and that we live as His image when we act the way God acts.
We look at these three contextual keys in today’s episode of the One Verse Podcast.
The Text of Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
In This Discussion of Genesis 1:26, we look at:
- What it means to be made in the image of God.
- The cultural context of Egyptian and Babylonian religion and royalty.
- The ritual by which ancient priests made images of their gods.
- The connection between the image of God and the prohibition in the Mosaic Law against making graven images.
- How Jesus as the perfect image of God shows us how to live as the image of God.
- Three suggestions for how you can live as the image of God on earth.
- Become a Patron of the One Verse Podcast
- Gibson, Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Hamilton, Genesis 1–17 – Amazon or CBD
- Hasel Article on Genesis 1
- Hess Article on Genesis 1–2
- Heidel, Babylonian Genesis – Amazon
- Johnston Article on Genesis 1
- Miller and Soden, In the Beginning – Amazon or CBD
- Wenham, Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Subscribe and Leave a Review on iTunes
Downloadable Podcast Resources
Those who are part of my online discipleship group may download the MP3 audio file for this podcast and view the podcast transcript below.You must join a discipleship group or login to download the MP3 and view the transcript.
Do you like learning about the Bible online?
Do you like learning about Scripture and theology through my podcast? If so, then you will also love my online courses. They all have MP3 audio downloads, PDF transcripts, quizzes, and a comment section for questions and interaction with other students.
If you want to deepen your relationship with God and better understand Scripture, take one (or all) of these courses. They are great for personal study or for a small group Bible study.
You can see the list of available courses here, and if you join the "Faith," "Hope," or "Love" Discipleship groups here on RedeemingGod.com, you can take all the courses at no additional cost. Go here to learn more and join now.