Are you looking for some practical suggestions for way to give presence in your community? Here’s five I thought of real quick, some of which I am actively pursuing. I’m not talking about community service events, but places you can hang out just to get to know people.
If you know of others, leave them in the comment area below.
- Go to your local Chamber of Commerce or city website and get a community calendar, as well as a list of civic organizations and community service events. Then be present at as many of these events and projects as possible. Be the most active, joyful, service-minded citizens your city has ever seen.
- Join activity-based clubs such as hiking clubs, book clubs, and tourist clubs.
- Adopt a park and hang out there on a regular basis, cleaning and restoring it.
- Hang out a local bar or nightclub, getting to know the regulars, and blessing the owner with your business.
- Participate in the tractor-pulling contest or the art festival. Look around in the newspaper and on community bulletin boards for events that you can join.