Do you observe the Sabbath? Why or why not?
Lots of people struggle with whether or not we should observe the Sabbath. On the one hand, Sabbath observance seems like a very religious and legalistic thing to do, but on the other hand, God set up the Sabbath as an everlasting covenant (Exod 31:16).
This episode begins to look at Genesis 2:1-3 and Day 7 of the creation week as we begin to answer these important questions.
The Text of Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished.
And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
In this discussion of Genesis 2:1-3 we look at:
- The last day of Creation, Day 7
- How Moses used this day to set Yahweh apart from other gods
- Why Moses doesn’t actually use the word for “Sabbath”
- Why Moses presents God as needing to rest
- Going Against the Grain on the Sabbath
- Jesus Gives a Hand on the Sabbath
- Johnston Article on Genesis 1
- Hamilton, Genesis 1–17 – Amazon or CBD
- Hess Article on Genesis 1–2
- Heidel, Babylonian Genesis – Amazon
- Kuruvilla, Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Miller and Soden, In the Beginning – Amazon or CBD
- Sailhamer, EBC: Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Sarna, Understanding Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Walton, Lost World of Genesis One – Amazon or CBD
- Walton, Ancient Israelite Literature – Amazon
- Wenham, Genesis – Amazon or CBD
- Theology.fm – Helping you and your Theology Look Like Jesus
- Subscribe and Leave a Review on iTunes
Downloadable Podcast Resources
Those who are part of my online discipleship group may download the MP3 audio file for this podcast and view the podcast transcript below.You must join a discipleship group or login to download the MP3 and view the transcript.
Do you like learning about the Bible online?
Do you like learning about Scripture and theology through my podcast? If so, then you will also love my online courses. They all have MP3 audio downloads, PDF transcripts, quizzes, and a comment section for questions and interaction with other students.
If you want to deepen your relationship with God and better understand Scripture, take one (or all) of these courses. They are great for personal study or for a small group Bible study.